Saturday, June 23, 2007

Is there no summer in this country?

It's getting on to late June here, and we are still sleeping with our down comforter. We still wear woolly slippers around the house. The weather forecast in yesterday's newspaper kindly reminded "don't forget your jumper." I am debating whether or not to put the thermostat up this afternoon. I have goosebumps as I type this.

The English don't seem to notice there is anything wrong. I was at an event* the other night in a venue that was at a normal temperature and droves of people were fanning themselves with their programs and asking me whether I wasn't "bloody boiling."

We've decided the best remedy is to head up to the Scottish Highlands for holiday in a few weeks. I figure that after being subjected to a week of even colder, wetter weather, it will seem positively balmy down here.

^^^^



*Even more noteworthy, Mr. Bean was at the event (opening of a children's art exhibition)! Possibly the most awesome random celebrity sighting ever.





No comments: